NEXT – Go to wordpress.com and create your new FREE website.
You’ll notice that your website name now ends in .wordpress.com. Don’t worry about this. In many ways it will benefit you and in some ways it won’t.
Disadvantages Of Free Websites In General:
- They often have limited space and capabilities. WordPress offers unlimited space.
- You generally can’t make money from advertising revenue.
- Can’t add useful and interactive features like shopping carts, traffic counters, chat rooms, forums, message boards, games, online ordering etc.
- Search engines sometimes ignore them. A HUGE disadvantage! BUT WordPress is taken very seriously by google.
- Your visitors will probably doubt your credibility and might NOT take you seriously.
- Your FREE site may have banners and/or pop-up ads that make money for the big guys – but NOT YOU! WordPress only have a small ad attached to some of your posts – which is pretty insignificant and has never bothered me at all.
- Long and difficult to remember web address (like yourname.freewebs.com).
- No guarantees of longevity. If your so-called FREE website disappears overnight, there’s NOTHING you can do about it.
- No branded email addresses (email@example.com).
- Poor help and support options (if any). WordPress offers a support forum where you can ask whatever question you want and browse through the answers already given. There are extensive help videos and written tutorials too.
- Might not be free forever. I’ve heard of one example where the host suddenly started charging a fee to stay (which most people paid to avoid the hassle of moving.
- If you want to upload extra pages of pictures, you might get slugged with a charge to do so. Not with wordpress, though they do make suggestions for premium upgrades to enable more options.
Advantages Of Using WordPress:
- Start a blog or build a complete website. What you do is only limited by your imagination.
- Build a great site and spend nothing, zilch, nada. And if you want to make a great site even better, they offer a selection of premium upgrades that are fairly inexpensive and really easy to implement.
- Share your work with the world. Publicize lets you connect your WordPress site to the most popular social networks — Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, LinkedIn, and more.
- Track Your Popularity. Learn more about your readers, where they’re from, and how they found you, with maps and graphs that beautifully present your stats.
- Express Yourself in Style. Choose from any of the 270+ gorgeous themes in the Themes Showcase found right in your dashboard, and make them your own with Custom Design by spending a bit extra (generally from $9 to $90 depending on the theme).
- Many available themes are fully responsive so look great on a desktop computer and in a mobile phone screen too.
- Safe and Secure. Your site is hosted on our servers spread across multiple data centers. That way, it’s super fast and always available. Software is automatically upgraded with the latest secure version so you never have to do it yourself or worry about getting hacked.
- Publish Using Your Mobile Phone. Don’t be confined to your desk. Publish near and far with mobile apps for iPhone, iPad, Android, and BlackBerry.
- Lots of other big names use the wordpress platform. TIME, CNN, TED, Boing Boing, and TechCrunch (among many others) are all hosted on WordPress.com.
- Your Content is Your Own. Wherever the future may take you, your content can follow you along for the ride. Moving in? The import tool works with all major blogging platforms. Moving out? In one click, the export tool copies your posts, menus and pages in an xml file that can be used if you decide to use wordpress on your own domain.
- Multilingual. The dashboard is available in over 50 languages and counting.
- Choose Your Audience. Keep your website/blog private or share your thoughts with the world.
- No Spam. Akismet takes away the hassle of unwanted comments on your website/blog by automatically zapping the spammers.
- Work With Your Friends and Coworkers. You can invite as many contributors as you’d like for a multi-author site.
- Easily Add Images, Audio, and Video. Drag and drop multiple images into a page. Display them one by one, in a really cool gallery, or in a slideshow.
- Follow Your Favorites. Keep track of all your favorite blogs and discover new ones with the Reader in the dashboard and more …
Advantages Of Owning Your Own Domain Name:
- Easy to remember website address (yoursite.com.au)
- No banners or popups that make money for someone else.
- Generally easier to get found in google searches.
- You have more control over the look and feel of your website and can add plugins and scripts for useful features like contact forms, shopping carts, social networking, forums etc and can make money from affiliate advertising or google adsense if desired.
- You can often have as many branded email addresses (like firstname.lastname@example.org) as you like and usually more than you’ll ever need.
- Plenty of space for expanding the site and storing your photos, documents, articles etc, depending on what your web hosting company allows.
- Don’t have to worry about the site being removed unexpectedly.
- Looks more professional and your customers will take you seriously.
- You can implement useful features like automatic sitemap submissions, so the search engines know instantly you’ve updated your content.
- Much more flexibility for design, usefulness and functionality with plenty of themes available, both free and premium.
- You can implement free or paid plugins that automatically backup your entire website on a regular basis.
- Your web host generally has a 24/7 support desk if you get into strife and SOME have superb service records and do much more than required to assist you wherever possible.
Here’s a short list of local websites to see what can easily be created by using this fabulous wordpress platform.
Free WordPress Website Examples Include:
Self Hosted WordPress Website Examples Include:
SAILING TOURS ALONG THE EAST COAST OF AUSTRALIA – boating trips, holiday cruises, day tours, ferry rides and sailing adventures from Wilsons Promontory in the South of Victoria, to Port Albert, to Sydney Harbour in N.S.W., to the Gold Coast and to the Whitsunday Island in Queensland
GOLD COAST AUSTRALIA PHOTO GALLERIES – a really great way to display quality photographs that can be used freely for your website, publications, magazines, brochures and print from the Gold Coast and other areas of Australia too.
TYE BLYTH – PERSONAL TRAINER – A beautiful website promoting his business, his books and expanding his career as an actor.
FIX BLOCKED DRAINS IN MELBOURNE – A simple landing page that dramatically improves the call rate, customer conversions and website traffic for a plumbing company based in Melbourne.
THE APPRECIATION SPACE– Happy Processes, Free E-Books, Inspiring Ideas and Uplifting Games to brighten up your life and encourage really positive habits.
STRATEGIC INTERVENTION AUSTRALIA – Revolutionary, World-Class Intervention and Communication Skills that assist people to create lasting change in their lives, businesses, families and community.
500 CONFESSIONS – A great book that will most likely rock your world, inspire your mind, uplift your spirits & soothe your soul.
GET RID OF BAD HABITS – For Good! – Practical ways to release stress, anger, fear, overeating, depression, pain, negative patterns, sexual dysfunction and even long term addictions!
When you’re ready, move on to Step 3