While most of my customers only have one main website, some are now seeing the benefit in using a second, third or even fourth site that deals more closely with a topic and either …
… directs specific traffic back to the main site OR
… is a standalone landing page for a particular product or service.
FIRST – Here’s How To Wisely Choose A New Domain
1. Decide Your BEST KEYWORD PHRASE
What words are people most likely to type into a search box to find what you have to offer? If you haven’t already, sign up for a FREE google adwords account and then use the keyword selection tool to determine which set of words are being used by REAL people each week or month and at what frequency. Sometime you might find a group of words you didn’t even consider before. Collect a short list of the very best keywords that are directly associated with “what you do/sell”.
LIVE WEBSITE CASE STUDY: A Melbourne based plumbing company has a website under their registered company name LJR Plumbing Contractors http://ljr-plumbing.com.au. What’s useful to note here is the hyphen between the initials “LJR” and the word “Plumbing”. This is important as google can immediately identify clearly the category of service just from the domain name itself.
This local plumber has now decided to promote the “FIXING of Blocked Drains” aspect of his business as he owns more specialised plumbing equipment with the ability to solve large commercial and council drainage issues while most others plumbers only deal with fixing domestic problems.
2. Register A Smart New TOP LEVEL DOMAIN NAME
No matter where you live in the world, a dot.com domain is recognised and remembered more than most others, is cheaper to register, useful for short term testing, possible long term expansion and can be easily sold later on the open market if you decide to go in a different direction.
LIVE WEBSITE CASE STUDY CONTINUED: I looked at registering a new domain name with the two major searched for words “Blocked” and “Drains”. After trying several combinations that were already taken, we came up with drains-blocked.com
SECOND – Design A Landing Page That Rocks
Here’s how a second website will best drive traffic to the first and be optimised to attract the right customers for your business/service. A well compiled landing page will reduce the need to use google adwords and might even replace the need to use paid advertising at all.
- EXPAND THE WEBSITE NAME – I expanded the phrase further and titled this new website header “FIX Blocked Drains In Melbourne” to specify the region we are targeting.
- EXPAND THE WEBSITE NAME EVEN FURTHER – I downloaded the wordpress plugin “All In One SEO” and in the background, expanded the SEO title even further with “FIX Blocked Drains In Melbourne AUSTRALIA Large Pipe Specialist” … which is way too large as a website heading but is indexed by google and can be seen when you hover over the tab at the top of your browser window. (Most search engines use a maximum of 60 characters for the title)
- EXPAND THE WEBSITE DESCRIPTION – I added the website description as “commercial plumbing problems fixed fast – CALL US NOW 0429 020276 – industrial drainage cleaning repairs anytime” using the second set of keywords and most importantly, the mobile phone number which is automatically clickable right from the top of the main page. (Most search engines use a maximum of 160 characters for the description so don’t go overboard.) PLEASE NOTE: Think about what your customers really want when they look for you. For service businesses, they simply want to find your contact details quickly and if it’s in the description found in the google index, they’ll probably call you first.
- ADD APPROPRIATE PAGE TITLES – using your important keyword phrases. Don’t just name a page “Contact” or “Home”. Can you imagine how many trillions of websites do that! I used these three page titles, “Contact PLUMBER For QUICK Service”, “Plumbing REPAIRS In ALL Melbourne Suburbs” and “COMMERCIAL And INDUSTRIAL Equipment”. See how I’ve capitalised my most import keywords as well.
- USE COMMON MIS-SPELLED KEYWORDS TOO – like accommodation. accomodation AND acomodation. Not everyone knows how to spell.
- INCLUDE CATEGORIES OF OTHER USEFUL INFORMATION – Further down I’ve added Testimonials with even more keyword phrases and a short list of their Recent Plumbing Services.
Important Note When Using Keywords
THE MOST COMMON WAY WEB SITE OWNERS PISS OFF THEIR CUSTOMERS – By deliberately repeating key words and phrases too often. There is never any need to stuff keywords onto a page and use them any more than 2 or three times. It can be so annoying to your genuine customers they’ll leave and go elsewhere and it’s also completely unnecessary when being indexed by google. See “Best Place To Use Keywords” below.
THE QUICKEST WAY TO GET RELEVANT TRAFFIC TO YOUR WEBSITE – is to use google adwords advertising.
THE BEST WAY TO GET INDEXED PROPERLY IN THE LONG TERM – is to provide at least 6 pages of detailed, useful and relevant information that your users actually want and need. My highest revenue generating website Interesting Things To See And Do In South Gippsland is not very pretty at all, but the information is incredibly valuable to tourists wanting to visit the area.
THE MOST POWERFUL WAY TO GET A HIGHER RANKING – is to get linked by other top level domains that are relevant to your location, product or topic.
THE QUICKEST WAY TO GET DROPPED INTO GOOGLE’S SUPPLEMENTARY INDEX – is to use dodgy SEO companies that claim to get you high rankings quickly (and they often do for a short while) by using tactics that spam blogs with keyword stuffing comments. Get your domain name associated with any of these “SEO experts” and you’ll need to start all over again when they get caught and blacklisted.
Best Place To Use Keywords Generally Runs In This Order
- Your Domain Name
- The Website Name
- The Website Description
- Page Titles
- Page Description. By default, google use the first 160 characters when they index the content for each web page (I often add a more specific description of what’s on a page using the WordPress All In One SEO Plugin)
- Heading tags H1 H2 H3 etc
- Original Photographs and images that are named, geotagged and/or categorised into topic groups. Pictures are the most common way people are attracted to several of my websites like Gold Coast Australia Photo Gallery and Prom Country, Bass Coast & South Gippsland Photo Gallery, netting me a lovely income from google ads.
- Blog Categories and Tags, especially if they’re included on your xml sitemap (one of the added features in the “WordPress All In One SEO Plugin” mentioned above).
- Your entire main website landing page is vital. Best to include a list of all the useful stuff people can find on your site. I usually compile the main page last and often make it a complete summary like here on The Mini-Movie Maker Website
- Links to and from your website using specific keyword phrases like “I Got The Blocked Drains Cleaned In My Melbourne House“. The more you get directed TO your website, the better, providing the most important long term benefits you’ll ever receive.
- Posts that link to your Google Plus Page as after a while, google lists you on their author pages. This can be done automatically with various plugins (I usually use jetpack and AuthorSure). Read about the way google use author pages.
- Bold, Italics, Coloured and CAPITALISED words, “Blockquotes” and phrases “Written With Capital Letters”
- Words and phrases at the top and bottom of any page.
- General relevant words and phrases on a page grouped closely together.
Building Successful Websites
I learned these guidelines many years ago when I had a website appraisal done by a professional. I consider these tips to be some of the most important information I’ve ever received about building successful websites and in turn, the most important advice I’ve ever given to others.
Here’s to your website success,